Wednesday, July 18, 2012

No-Bake Chocolate Granola Bars (Gluten/Oat/Dairy/Soy-free )

The past few days I have had the privilege of staying with my wonderful and amazing cousin. Not only did she invite my family of four to come and stay at her home, but she enthusiastically adapted her entire family to my family's diet restrictions. I love this girl. She has made my vacation easy-peasy and delicious to boot. She has come up with some wonderful new recipes that I will be sharing with you and taking home with me!

Since my family is gluten/dairy/egg/soy/corn-free, I will list the recipe as such, but you can always alter them to fit your family's dietary restrictions.




Chocolatey Granola Bars (Oat-Free):

1 1/4 cups of gluten-free rice cereal
1 cup quinoa flakes
2 tablespoons ground golden flaxseed
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup nuts/seeds (cashews chopped finely are my favorite)
1/4 cup Enjoy Life vegan chocolate chips
1/3 cup Lyle's and Sons cane syrup
1/2 cup sunflower butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Lightly grease an 8-inch pan. Tear a piece of parchment paper just large enough to cover the pan. Combine the brown rice cereal, quinoa flakes, flaxseed (I just learned that the best way to buy your flaxseed is in bulk and grind with a coffee grinder each time you need flaxseed for a recipe. This is because flaxseed goes rancid within four hours of grinding...who knew?), coconut, nuts, and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Combine the cane syrup and sunflower butter in a microwavable bowl and heat until just melted, about 30-60 seconds. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour sunflower butter over cereal mixture and stir well with a spatula. Dig your hands into the cereal mixture and mix everything really well. Pour mixture into a greased 8-inch pan. Place the sheet of parchment paper on top of the pan and press down firmly to bind ingredients. Refrigerate at least one hour. Cut into bars and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

Variations on this recipe are adding dried fruits instead of chocolate...or add the chocolate too! You could also try using different cereals. I like both Envirokidz Koala Crisp and Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes.



My cousin refrigerated the bars until they were nice and firm and then she cut them into perfect granola-size bars, wrapped them up, and stuck them in the fridge. They were such a delicious snack, truly a treat for children and adults alike. Happy munching!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. Such yummy treats for your family.!!

    ReplyDelete